Tuesday, September 11, 2012

You, Me 9-11 The Despair and the Light!


9-11 here guys! I was in NYC at the time of the attack. I will never ever forget this tragic event, and how it changed, in my opinion, me as a New Yorker, and NYC as a whole forever!

When it 1st happened I was living in Woodside, Qns, where I watched it all unfold in the same exact image as was being currently displayed on my TV screen. I was a Private Personal Trainer at the time and had been training a private client out of my apt in NYC.

We were just about ending when we she looked out
the window, turned to me and said hey, look at this! What's that I said, as we both turned to each other in a slight shock! So we turned on the TV set and the news of the 1st plane having hit was just now being announced! OMG.....

We stood there shocked, helpless, crying, as we tried to call friends, and witnessed the 2nd plane decidedly go into a nosedive smashing into the 2nd tower.

We came together as one people that day and for many after. There was no black or white, republican or democrat, yea there was still a bit of uncertainty regarding people in veils, or colored skin men with overgrown beards, but for quite some time especially the day of, the actual tragic event, we were all one people, New Yorkers, and Americans !!

People walking home over the bridges. Never before had I seen such a swell of pedestrian traffic. No one was fighting, screaming, or even yelling any blasphemous or venomous slurs! The look of sorrow, or overwhelming grief was clearly visible on all the multicultural faces!

All were crying, hugging, slowly trudging their way back to wherever, or whomever it was that made them feel safe. All judgements were seriously suspended, for many weeks and months in NYC.. This was a NY like I had never seen before! And we all walked around trying to find ways to help each other cope for many many months after!

This filled me and so many others, with a deep heartfelt sense of communion, like nothing I've ever experienced or witnessed in any social or even religious gathering, of any kind, anywhere! We were all one, and no one knew, or spoke anything different! American flags rose up in every single neighborhood, and I just cried walking home for so many weeks at this overwhelming sign of pride and fellowship!

It was enough to make even the strongest, and toughest guys or gals week in the knees! Thousands fled the city of course, but many stayed too! I was one of those who stayed, knowing that I wanted to be no where else but right where my heart was. In New York City.

I often stopped and just observed, (often in tears) as average, everyday people would stop, in the middle of a cross walk and even if just for a little while, on their way wherever, just to act as cross guards, helping cars along the slowly moving city streets, and sometimes in pitch darkness late at night when there were still no streetlights or lamp posts lighting the way.... Just Pitch black darkness in what we always thought of, 'as the city that never sleeps!'

Instead, the air was now filled with the terrifying, endless nightmare, of screeching sirens, and fire truck alarms, that would make your hairs stand on end, whenever you heard them! Fire trucks racing down the streets, somewhere. Some of them them, never making their way back. This would go on for what seemed like weeks, but was probably more like days...

The cloud of what seemed like white ash, or the residue of a powerful nuclear fall out, covered all of the downtown area of the city, like some huge apocalyptic tidal wave that came rushing up from the depths of the earth to swallow the City up whole. It was surreal. To watch as it slowly make its way from the downtown area over to Chelsea (which is mostly in the 20's) and beyond.

On day 2 or 3, I went down toward the south end of town with some friends to try and help. This was the one time when I wished with all my might that I had been a licensed EMT worker. Only they, were allowed, along with other medical, or emergency personnel workers, into the newly, 'forbidden zone' which was from 14 street down to the southern most tip of the City.

I was hard pressed to stay alone in Queens so I spent most of every day with friends in the City doing whatever I could to surround myself with loving friends that I considered as an extension of my own family. Several days after the attack, I joined a group that was Organized in the Chelsea part of town to send food, blankets, clothing and whatever else they could to to the survivors or for the helpers working on the scene.

While It wasn't really my intention to recount, much less revisit, (emotionally) this tragic day, here it is just the same. This began as just an email to let my list know I will travel again soon. I guess it's not so bad to just sit back and reflect. We do have much to be grateful for here in the USA.

I pray we get back on track, and get these attacks on our own to STOP already! Our Government needs to get to the business of getting back to business, and less focused on just trying to oust our current President! Millions wasted needlessly on blocks, deliberate filibustering, out right, just plain walk outs and "no" votes on things the the American Jobs Act, that would stimulate our economy, and most importantly, put millions back to work.

That was an easy lead in, my good men. This time I had to take it, because this is what a day like today, does for me. Brings back to the forefront, something very dear to me, which is being an American Citizen! I loved NY and what it meant to be an American so much that, even back then, I wanted to be nowhere but in NYC, even if, there was going to be another bomb attack!

I am grateful and thankful to be one of the many privileged to live in the USA where we are offered the choice to live our lives as we envision it, (whatever that might look like). Is it a struggle for segments of our population? Sure it is! But then Life is never truly without struggles for most. Is it a struggle for me? Hell yea! But at least it is a fight to live life my way, and not waking everyday just for the struggle to be live free! Life in the USA is worth standing up for!

Have a great day guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment